Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Candy

I would say that I am pretty strict with my diet overall. When I "indulge" and go out to eat or something, I am still very careful with portions, so I hardly feel like I am cheating. My friend asked me once if I would consider what I was eating a cheat or not, and I said no. Then again, another thing to consider is what else I had eaten that day.

Every once in a while I will go out for ice cream or slush, but I can't eat near as much of it as I used to be able to. My treat is my Diet Dr. Pepper. Mmmmmm.....

One thing I absolutely have NOT allowed myself in months is candy. I hate walking by the candy bar aisle in grocery stores. Reese's, Snickers, and Butterfingers call out to me, but I haven't partaken in months. I think I had a couple of bite sized Butterfingers at work on Halloween and a bit of homemade chocolate that a customer brought in the other day, but other than that, I haven't had any chocolate or candy. I talk all the time about maintaining balance in your diet and creating a lifestyle change rather than deleting entire food groups and restricting yourself. I feel like I've done a really good job with this, except that I do not allow myself to have candy. And I LOVE candy! Which is why I'm afraid to eat it.

I did fantastic at Thanksgiving. I didn't overeat at all. I plan to do fantastic at Christmas as well by not overeating. My new lifestyle is much more comfortable. I don't go to bed in pain and I don't get heartburn anymore. None of this is a question for me. My question is: should I allow myself to have the candy in my stocking this year? Should I ask Santa to not fill my stocking? Should I ask Santa to fill my stocking with less candy than everyone else's stockings? I for sure don't want as much candy as everyone else will get. I feel like I want some, but can I handle it this year?

Today I'm grateful for my friends who take time out of their schedule to partake in art time with me. I have so many drawing projects that I need to finish, but they'll never get done without company!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are saying. You haven't made them 'off limit's' in THEORY - just you haven't road tested the theory ;) I think Santa should bring you some and if need be, rashion it out into little ziplock bags with the calorie amounts all worked out... and do this thing! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Art Night!! We need to plan our next one...I saw the picture of your drawing...it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete